Although Pennwoods Equine Products, Inc. was not established until 1985, the idea behind the company was born far earlier. It all started in 1957, when John M. Cole left the army and began a career in agriculture. He worked for a local company until 1968, when he left to go into business for himself. John bought a small feed mill in Centre Hall, PA with the money that he had saved.
Within a few years, John had turned the mill into a thriving company. The business remained a small mill and feed store that served the local farming community until the early 1980s. In 1977 Chris Cole, John’s oldest son, returned from college to join his father in business. They shared an interest in profession and hobby.
Horses were always a part of the family. To ensure the best possible health and performance in the family horses, a special vitamin and mineral mix was formulated. This type of product didn’t exist commercially, and with people asking what their secret feed ingredient was, an idea for a brand new product developed: a vitamin and mineral horse supplement.
For several years, John and Chris developed and tested various prototypes until they felt that the perfect product had been created. Pennwoods Equine Products, Inc. was born. The company included John, Chris and Chris’ siblings Kelly and Chad Cole.
Over the last 30 years, the Pennwoods Equine product line has expanded from one to twenty-six products, all available in various sizes. As the market has changed, so has the company. Yet one thing still remains that separates Pennwoods from the competition: every one of our products contains a large dose of common sense. We care about our customers and most importantly their horse’s nutritional needs.